Monday, March 8, 2010

Can I get an Upgrade?

Well, I guess I don't really need a bootie shaking Beyonce theme song for this one, but the upgrade has been quite a change in the Brownlee household! We bought an Entertainment Center off of Craigslist (for a steal!) back in January and I can't believe I haven't blogged about the transformation! Many of you have known that I have been looking for one for the last year and a half and couldn't find the one we wanted. I was kinda picky b/c I wanted one where the doors close over the tv b/c I'm not a huge fan of the television being the focus of the room when we aren't using it. But I also wanted shelves and not just an armoire. So after a ridiculously long search at stores, sales, Canton, you name it, I found it! It was quite the process getting it home safe and sound to our living room. We had to rent a Uhaul and bring it down from McKinney. When they say DFW Craigslist, they really mean ANYWHERE in a 2 hour radius, ha! I think you'll agree with me that it was much needed, considering we've been using the same $15 dollar stand we bought 4 1/2 years ago with a superglued corner and lots of sharpie marker. hehe

BEFORE:
Yes, what you are looking at is our little black stand, with a bar stool next to it, with a plant stand stacked on top so that our digital antenna could get reception. We don't have cable, so this was the best option for "bunny ear" picture.
A Year and a Half people!!! This is kinda embarrasing to post. Disclaimer: When we had company over, we would put this back in place and hope no one would want to watch tv, ha! Frugalness at its finest!
Here is what the "wall" looked like at Christmas time. I didn't have any pictures of the room before, not sure why, but you can imagine it empty when the tree was taken down.
And NOW....drumroll please....
TaDa!!!And with the doors open
So now the room looks like this!!! Yay, no more ghetto-fabulous. Progress indeed!

9 comments:

Claire Coleman said...

I love it! I want one like it! It's so pretty and the shelves are so functional! Jealous:)

Paige said...

looks FAB!! now you just need a picture of your neice on there!!!

Amanda said...

WHOA! Love it!

I love how frugal you guys are. Matt and I are the same way, and while it's hard to go against the grain (and not live up to the amazing lifestyles of our friends), I KNOW it's going to pay off when we retire young, right? :)

So fun and congrats on your awesome find!

Nick and Lindsay said...

Wow! That is a transformation! It's such a great piece of furniture, and very nicely decorated :0) Great find.

Christi said...

drumroll indeed! what a great find and that whole area is very nicely decorated, good job!

Lucy Marie said...

It looks incredible. You did a great job decorating it. What a change!

The Parkens said...

Your place looks soo beautiful! Love the new addition! I could definitely use something like that!

Ashleigh Howlett said...

Llloooovveeeee it!!! Craigslist is the BEST!!! Good find and definitely worth the wait!!! :)

Veronica said...

Oh wow! I love it!!! I'm totally LOL about not being ghetto fabulous anymore! Totally a word that is used often over here!

Oh and don't feel bad...we've been married for almost eight years and still don't have all the furniture we should. Everything has been pretty much handed down to us too. Maybe one day we'll be able to afford some good stuff of our own!