Well, we've been trucking along lately with our busy schedules. Hard to believe that September has almost come and gone!!! I've been chomping at the bit to put up my fall decorations...Fall is my absolute favorite! I love the colors and the flowers, pumpkins, etc. I'm going to wait until October 1st and for when it's not 98 degrees outside, ugh!
Today marks Colby's halfway point in his Internal Medicine rotation and he will switch over to county hospital on Monday, which will be a big difference from his current private hospital. I've been at the same county school-based clinic and have loved it!! I've only had a handful of families that speak English, so it's been fun to brush up on my espanol. The best part is the independence and how my preceptor hands me the chart and that I'm expected to go in and see the kiddo by myself...yikes!
Colby's highlights: Diagnosing an appendicitis in FM and sending the pt. off to the ER before his attending even came to look at the patient, diagnosing a DVT, the "80 year old lady" (no explanation needed), having a husband of the wife he was rounding on ask him "for his business card" to which Colby explains he is a student and doesn't have one yet. I'm sure there are more that I'm leaving out but I'm so proud of him and all he is learning. I wish you could see him and how cute he looks everyday in his business attire with his white coat! :)
My highlights: Sports physicals (hernia checks, gross), Finding a bead in the ear of a 3 year old kid who came in for something unrelated and actually having to remove it- oh, kids...they have been cracking me up! That mama was shocked to say the least! Seeing the large population of overweight kids, having to tell parents about their kids having diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.-very sad, bug bites, diaper rash, broken bones, "my tummy hurts", and really just getting a lot more comfortable with answering questions (when should my baby...?). I tell you what, this will both a blessing and a curse when its our turn, cause even though I've been ingrained with all of this knowledge for school stuff, I'm going to be calling on all of my mama friends for help with all the practical stuff...whew!
* And I should note for the many moments btwn the 2 of us where we're excited b/c we know what we're doing, there's a WHOLE lot left to learn and many more "I'm an idiot" moments, ha! Hopefully that ratio will slowly change.
That's about all until my next post which will be Fall! Yay! I'll leave you with a few pics from a Rangers game that we went to a few weeks ago, we just love them and for $10 tickets, you can't beat it!
3 months ago
2 comments:
readin all this...its like yall are grown ups or something! lol. can you believe you are where you are in life? i mean it's pretty darn cool to see how far we/you/people our age have come since college days. I've been having those self awareness moments recently where I realize this is my adult life!, where did the time go?! You mentioning the highlights and being in the real world with what ya'll have learned is very cool, very exciting. not really sure what i'm trying to say with my ramblings, ha. It's just all so scary and exciting to see life change and move forward, to be at the place where you hoped you'd someday be!
oh and yay for Fall!!
I love reading all about y'alls life! ;-)
Post a Comment