On Monday we prepared for our meeting with Eli’s birthmother
at the Gladney office there. We got ready, got him dressed, and were super
nervous to go and meet her and filled with emotions of both excitement and
grief when we thought about the sacrifice of love that she had made for him.
When we got there, we said hello but could immediately tell that she needed
some time. We handed Eli over to her and stepped out of the room to give her
some time with him alone.
When we went back in several minutes later, we were greeted
with the sweetest and warmest smile. We spent about 3 hours with her and the case
workers and talked about Eli, what we had named him and the reasoning behind
it, how her labor went, our families, etc. Colby said I was talking a mile a
minute, which is no surprise to many, but I was a nervous Nelly. I have NO idea
what we were so afraid of when it came to birthmothers and semi-open adoptions,
but all of those were put to rest. I know it won’t always be easy and this is a
delicate relationship but will truly be the best for Eli for him to have the
opportunity to take that it where he wants later in life. She clearly showed us and told us about
how much she loved him and we knew exactly how much she did by making an
adoption plan for him. I think about Pro Choice advocates and my stomach
becomes sick as there are so many other families out there desiring a sweet
child to fill their homes. And yet, our birthmother chose life and chose for
Eli to be raised by someone else, just as Hannah had chosen that for Samuel.
My heart was heavy and greatly sad as we parted ways, as I
had only spent 2 days with Eli and could not imagine ever having to make that
kind of decision and be without him. But she was so brave and so thoughtful and
I pray that God would bless her tenfold for her decision.
Dressed up in the hotel lobby after our meeting
With wonderful case worker Megan!
* We have beautiful pictures to share of Eli and his birthmother and with us as well that we will forever cherish, however we want to respect her privacy and therefore aren't putting them on a public post.
1 comments:
choosing the ultimate good for a child! Brings tears to my eyes! :-) Love you, friend!
Post a Comment