Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Crunchy Romaine Salad

I'm linking up with Casey today for a recipe exchange!
Photobucket
This is my staple, "oh my goodness this salad is so good, I want the recipe" salad. I take it to lots of dinner parties and serve it at my own, because it's so yummy! And it totally follows Elizabeth's rules because it is a very pretty and colorful side! I got it from none other than my wonderful mamacita. I'm sure she got it from somewhere, but who knows?!? Enjoy! 
 
Crunchy Romaine Salad
1 head romaine lettuce, washed, torn into pieces (I use 2 of the ready-to-go bags of romaine-easy!)
1 cup chopped pecans
1 pkg. Ramen Noodles (uncooked and broken into pieces....throw away flavor pkt.)
4 Tbsp. butter
4 green onions, chopped
1 can mandarin oranges
chopped fresh broccoli
Optional Ingredient: fresh sliced mushrooms (we love them!)
Directions: Brown Ramen noodles in butter over medium heat. Add pecans toward the end of the browning. Cool and drain on paper towels. Combine with rest of ingredients. Toss and top with dressing. Important suggestion!!!: Don't put the dressing on the salad until right before you are ready to serve b/c it saturates the lettuce too much and the salad gets really soggy. I just bring the dressing along in a tupperware until eating time!
Dressing:  1/2 cup vegetable oil
                1/2 cup sugar
                1/4 cup red wine vinegar
                 1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
                Salt and Pepper

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

i love a good salad! can't wait to try it out!

Elizabeth Ann @ Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box said...

Looks AMAZING! :-)

the Jennings secede from the South said...

MMMMMMMMMM.

Lizzie said...

I make this one all the time too!! Actually your mama got it from Aunt Jan, one of the summers we all went up there, that was also when we got the monster cookie recipe. yumm-o!! :)