Monday, January 18, 2010

Holy Cow Cake Recipe

I had several people asking about the Holy Cow Cake that I made for Colby's birthday. Well, it gets its name because the second you take a bite, you think to your self, or say outloud, Holy Cow!
The recipe is from The Cake Mix Doctor. I sure do love doctors and I LOVE this book and recommend it to anyone! There are even several more versions out now. It is perfect b/c it turns boxed cakes into a cake that looks like it was made from scratch by adding other ingredients to spice it up. Well, I'm all for time saving recipes and "Fake it, don't Make it!"
Cake Needs:
Vegetable oil spray for misting the pan
1 package (18.25 ounces) plain devil's food cake mix
1 1/3 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil, or canola, corn, safflower, soybean, or sunflower (I use Smart Balance Omega- as it's better for you than vegetable, and olive doesn't do as well for me with baked goods)
3 large eggs

Topping Needs:
1 jar (8 ounces) caramel topping (I use about half- it's too rich!)
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk (Once again, I use the smaller one)
4 Butterfinger candy bars crushed (can use Heath bar, or whatever you like)
1 container (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed (can get the low fat kind!)
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature (low fat kind!)
Directions:
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven an preheat the oven to 350. Lightly mist a 13x19 inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray and set pan aside.
2. Place cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down sides with spatula. Increase mixer speed and beat 2 minutes more. Batter should look thick and well blended. Pour the batter in the prepared pan and place in oven.
3. Back the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed (35 to 38 minutes). Remove and place on wire rack. Immediately poke holes all over the cake with a drinking straw or chopstick.
4. Prepare the topping. Place the caramel topping and sweetened condensed milk in a small bowl and stir to combine. Spoon the mixture over the warm cake so that it can seep down into the holes. Measure out half of the candy bars and sprinkle over the cake.
5. Place whip topping and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and blend with electric mixer on low speed until smooth and combined. Spread the mixture over the top and then sprinkle the remaining candy pieces on top.
6. Place the pan, uncovered, in the refrigerator to chill the cake for about 20 minutes before cutting into squares and service. *can store it covered for up to one week in fridge*

4 comments:

Lucy Marie said...

Holy cow is right! That sounds delicious

Veronica said...

Sounds sinfully delicious! I will have to bookmark this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda said...

Okay, this looks YUMMY! I'll have to try it. . .

I wish my hubby was handy. He just demo'd the box light and we hired out the rest of the work. In fact, he's started 3 projects now that he realized he couldn't finish, and we now are going to have to hire someone to fix it! HA! Oh well. I didn't marry him for his house-repair skills! :)

Hope you're doing well!

Jennifer Hoover said...

Oooohhhh... Thanks for sharing! I was going to ask you for it and then forgot!