Well, we made it! Most of you don't know what we made because I didn't blog about it, but Colby just got back from a month of being at an away rotation in Detroit, Michigan. It was Aw. Ful. It was probably one of the hardest months of my life, no lie. I have no idea how those military wives do it. Seriously. You are my heros. I definitely had a few meltdowns, most after a stressful day at work or clinical, losing a patient, and when I just really needed him, but thanks to prayers from many friends, God kept us both safe while we were apart. Part of the reason I didn't blog about it is b/c I really have no clue who reads this other than the few faithful friends that leave comments (Thanks!) but I still wanted to go back and record that it happened for us for when I'm complaining or whiny or upset by something little and can remember how much better it is to be together.
I can honestly say that life just wasn't as much fun without Colby being here. I had several comments from people like, "What? You're depressed missing your husband? I'm depressed with my husband here." or "At least you get a break or time to yourself" or "You just haven't been married long enough."
Really? I don't get it. I don't even like it when Colby is on call at the hospital for ONE night.
Thankfully March was really one of the busiest months for me schoolwise, and although we wouldn't have seen each other a great deal if he were here, at least we would have gotten our usual brief evenings together. I told Colb looking back that I didn't even watch our shows that we usually watch b/c we watch them together. I ate a lot of hodge podge stuff over the month because I felt guilty cooking good stuff that Colb enjoys while he was eating hospital food, and cooking for one is harder. Weird I know, but I guess there's just something about the way that God blesses us in marriage and I needed to remind myself how grateful I am for my favorite red head. That he in fact does a whole lot more than I give him credit for and really just "our crazy routine" is a blessing that I don't need to complain about because, well, it's "ours." I think the thing I hated the most was that I couldn't take care of him. Of course I sent him with a laundry kit, bathroom kit, lots of extras, and make sure he'd pack everything he needed (with him rolling his eyes since he's a grown man), but I guess I didn't realize how much I identify with the role of a wife and how much I value it. Need to keep that in mind the next time I complain about cleaning my house, ha!
I will also say that there were some great moments about the distance with our quiet times with the Lord. He really used this time for us to both rely on Him and refocus us, as it's easy to loose a little of the individual growth when we're focused on each other. And it's easy to focus a lot more on your spouse than God, and this is not what we are called to do, although God created our spouses to help show us His love in a whole new way. I will try to focus on these for the future away rotations and lots of call that we have ahead of us. Also, Colby also got an amazing experience clinically and had a lot of insight into future career as well as a look at a great program. PS- Thank goodness to the person who invented Skype! Seriously, made computer dates so much better. Lastly, I wanted my single friends or away husband friends out there to know that I prayed for you a lot during this time and know that God will use this time period for blessings.
3 months ago

8 comments:
aw, sweet. glad he's back safely. And I totally agree with posting after husband returns. YOu just never know who is out there!
Although it's no fun being apart I'm glad God blessed yall during this time, it sounds like He taught you things, that's always good.
You know you've got something special when you miss them for even one night!
Happy (almost) weekend!
I'm so happy that he is home. The months that faustino were gone were so sad for me, too. And I remember eating hodge podge, too! I'm glad you were smart about not posting that you were all alone at home (I won't even post faustino is on call on Facebook!)
Let's plan a date soon...I was telling faustino earlier this week that I needed o get out!
You are a wonderful example of a Godly wife in a Godly marriage!
Yay! I need to play that song exactly 3 weeks from now when Nathan gets back! I could identify with a lot of what you said. Love you!
Gracie
so glad you have your hubby home!!! I can't imagine!!!
Amen sista!
yep, you're a better wife than I am. I'm still engaged and wish I could be alone for a tad. Although, when my grandmother passed I barely made it two weeks without him. love your blog!
Glad Colby is back safe and sound and y'all are happily reunited! I just realized that Colby is in residency at JPS. Bill will be doing an away rotation there in August during his fourth year of med school. I am dreading the separation!! However, I like what you said about using that time to refocus on your relationship with Christ rather than on one another... hopefully we will do just that and the time will fly quickly! Thanks for the encouragement. :)
Post a Comment