Sunday, May 18, 2008

Nurse Joanna!

Today marks my graduation from nursing school. It was a long haul, but I'm very grateful to have made and it and especially to Colby for being my sugar-daddy and working hard while I was in school! :) hehe No, but seriously, I wouldn't have made it through without all of his encouragement and for picking me back up when I thought I could study no longer. I'm very excited for my new career and really feel that God will use me greatly with the children and families that I will work with daily. I feel like the token question that I've been asked all throughout the process was, "Why did you become a nurse?" My answer to that question is to be an effective advocate for patients, to provide knowledgeable and compassionate care, and to help people when they are most vulnerable. Above all, while going through lots of hospital stays with my Dad, I can remember that a few of the nurses were particularly helpful to my mom and were concerned that we were included in care. I know the care that I expect and require for my family members and feel that every healthcare worker should treat patients as if they were family as well. This doesn't happen as much as it needs to and I've been quite shocked at some of the things I've witnessed. With that said, even when I'm tired and burnt out, I hope I can stay accountable to my beginning intentions. So here they are to remind me on hour 11 of the 12 hour shift. I'm looking forward to all the new experiences as a nurse!

0 comments: