So yesterday was a fun (but long!) class day for me. We learned all of our skin biopsy techniques as well as suturing. We did all of the biopsy stuff on chicken legs, and I must say that I will never look at a chicken leg the same, as I practiced anesthetizing it, and cutting out an excision to remove the "lesion." I think my favorite was the cryotherapy that we did for if someone has a wart or skin tag that needs to be frozen off. It was VERY cold and leaves an ice ring around the specimen in seconds. My least favorite was the toenail removal...oh my sickness! Gives me the heebie jeebies, so future patients, just go ahead and do me a favor and do not get an ingrown toenail, yikes! So, we practiced our suturing on pigs feet and those were pretty raunchy to look at. But I learned single suturing, continuous suture, a mattress suture, dermabond closure, and even stapling! It was fun, and really made me feel like I was learning something useful. Don't get me wrong, I've learned a lot in the last year of school that I've been in, but this one is a little more meaninigful as far as experience goes. I am also starting in the hospital this semester and will be rounding with a PNP and a radiologist, so this will be fun and I'm excited to learn a lot!
My first patient


.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
1 comments:
oh yes- i know who to call the next time I have an ingrown toe nail! it doesn run in the family you know???
Post a Comment