Thursday, December 16, 2010

Grateful for Easter

I've finished with my classes for the semester-whoohoo! And Colby will take his Surgery shelf exam tomorrow morning and then we get a 2 week break together! I'm so proud of him for making it through this semester. He's had lots of long call nights and shifts, lots of studying, research in his "free time" and yet he doesn't complain and just goes with the flow with attendings, etc. Unlike me who can be pretty whiny at times with my schedule.  I know it is by the grace of our Lord and your prayers that we've been treading through this course, and I thank you for all of your support!  I'll still be working of course, and actually Colby will be going to Midland to work with an ophthalmologist for 3 days, but then it's Christmas with my family!  Got lots of catch up to do with the blog, but this is for me to remember, so thanks for your forgiveness for posting about Halloween in December-ha! Story of my life! :)

So scroll down for a few more posts!

But first, I suppose you're wondering why I've entitled my post Easter. Well, Colby was on call this past Saturday night and I worked and had a pretty long emotional day. Plug real quick for my patients and their families- it's been a rough month with losing kiddos, and dealing with cancer (especially during the holidays and being hospital bound) is just crummy and they really need prayers for strength and healing. Anyhow, I got home and on television was the Chronicles of Narnia. I loved reading these and the movies have been awesome, can't wait to see the new one! Well, I can't watch this movie without bawling, it's imagery is so amazing.

During the scene where Aslan was killed, I couldn't help but cry and rejoice for the amazing sacrifice that Christ gave for all of us and was overwhelmed with God's love and constant provision for me. As fast and furious as life is, I can't allow myself to be too busy to spend time in prayer and thanksgiving for the radical love of my Savior and the blessings that He greatly bestows upon me. It hit me pretty hard that I can't get caught up in the hustle and bustle. I love me some Christmas and love anticipating the joy that comes with Christ's birth. My nativity scene is my favorite decoration and Colby and I have been going through our Advent devotions and lighting our candles, yet there is so much more PAST Christ's birth. The virgin birth and story is a miracle and shows God's power, but if it stops there, it simply isn't enough to redeem us from the wages of sin that we all deserve. It's Easter that I long for and the sacrifice that God gave for me on the cross that overwhelms me. I'm not a mom yet, but there are so many of my patients and my niece Tatum that break my heart to have lost, and I can't imagine God turning over His Son as a sacrifice after having Him here on Earth for so many years and the difference that he made in so many people's lives. What an amazing gift that I am not worthy of receiving.
Just wanted to share what's been on my heart lately and I am so grateful for the miracle of Christ's birth and the grace and salvation that Easter brings us. Thank you Father for your love for us! Praying you all are having a wonderful holiday season and that you take some time to be thankful for this amazing gift!
Then, the angel of the Lord said to them, "Do not be afraid, for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy which will be to all people. For there is born to you this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be the sign to you: You will find a Babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger." Luke 2:10-11


"He is not here, be He is Risen!" Luke 24:6

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Very, very well said!! I totally agree. I hope you and Colby have some great and relaxing time off together!! Merry Christmas!

Nick and Lindsay said...

Glad y'all are getting a bit of a break - it sounds like it's well-deserved! Also love reading that y'all do an advent wreath. We do too, and it's one of my favorite Christmas traditions.

Unknown said...

Love this post Joanna! Praise God for sending Jesus even though we don't deserve Him, he sent Him anyways....amazing love. We sang Soon and Very Soon by Hillsong this morning at church, and I just love it. Thank you for being such a wonderful friend and coworker and helping me remember what our purpose is here on this earth.
Love you friend and am so blessed by you!